Pages

Ward Confrence

Sunday, November 16, 2008











Today was ward conference. I was touched by each talk & each testimony. The one that stands out the most was our stake president's talk. What an inspired man. He addressed how we can stay afloat in these difficult economic times. Heaven knows Rod & I are really struggling. But its not something we did not anticipate. We realized fully that medical school with two children & the desire for more children..a lot more...would put much strain on our wallet. We were blessed enough to find an incredibly low mortgage & car payment. We have been able to make payments each month by the sheer grace of God. I don't know how we make our tiny numbers work, but we are blessed each month with a home, food, and all our necessities plus some. Our families help how they can & we are truly grateful. Medical school has definitely been our biggest challenge so far, & we are surviving. The topic of how to financially survive is very applicable for our family so we both listened very closely. Our stake president counseled us to pay our tithing fully & honestly, to fast & pray. He counseled us to use all our resources, reuse, use up, wear it out. He challenged us to find ways to make things last longer in our homes or find new purpose. make a quilt from old clothes, reuse baby items, etc. He also counseled us, as prophets and general leaders have that we should do all we can to stay out of debt with the understanding that both a home & education are sometimes the exception to the rule. Our car lease is up in 2 weeks, and the payment was as low as you can get. We have been looking & looking for a car with a similar payment that would Carry all 5 of us sclaters. Its been a challenge, but also a major learning experience for Rod & I. I am a rather backwards thinker. I truly appreciate the opportunity to be humbled. It hurts, but even when it hurts I am happy that I am learning & being stretched. This car situation will most likely end up a very humbling experience. Today's talk from President cruz encouraged Rod & I once again to think, think, think & pray, pray, pray about any financial choices. I feel so blessed to have been reminded of these important ways to live our lives so to best keep our families secure financially & spiritually. I have been worrying a lot with the new baby coming, but after conference & after Rod giving me a little pep talk I reminded that NEVER once have we been left alone, & without. We have been blessed in every way & every need has been met one way or another. Our Father in Heaven loves us, & we are so grateful...even when times are hard we are always taken care of.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Jenni- I always love looking at your blog and feeling the love of your sweet family. Thank goodness the next step to the medical school process is just around the corner with new opportunities and new challenges. This is tough times thats for sure... but we will all pull through. :) Mom left today (booo....) and I'm all for getting together. My work from home job has substantially slowed down for the time being so I have been keeping Ben home with me to cut some costs. Would love to play and catch up.

Kim-the-girl said...

We had ward conference today as well and we heard financial counsel too. I know optometry school isn't quite as costly as med school, but I can honestly say that I relate... we had our 4th baby right after graduation. It can be hard and it can be tricky, but the Lord truly does take care of us! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and good luck!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground