Pages

{Back to school 2018}

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

The night before back to school is a special night at our house. Each year we pick a theme for the school year. This year we chose "Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better."-Gordon B. Hinckley I had seen this quote a few months ago and knew right away that it was the one for the 2018/19 school year. 

We usually do fathers blessings after our big dinner, but this year we did them right after church. it was super special and rod said he received lots of very clear words from our Father in heaven. I feel so blessed to have a husband worthy of his priesthood.  

We watched the short film on the farmer who cut back the currant bush. Its such a great video! the transcript was...

I would like to speak of one particular attitude and practice we need to adopt if we're to meet our Heavenly Father's high expectations. It is this: willingly to accept and even seek corrections. Elder Hugh B. Brown told of purchasing a rundown farm in Canada many years ago. As he went about cleaning up and repairing his property, he came across a currant bush that had grown over six feet high and was yielding no berries.

So he pruned it back drastically, leaving only small stumps. Then he saw a drop like a tear on the top of each of these little stumps, as if the currant bush were crying, and thought he heard it say: "How could you do this to me? I was making such wonderful growth. ... And now you've cut me down. Every plant in the garden will look down on me. ... How could you do this to me? I thought you were the gardener here."

"Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I [don't] intend you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, 'Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down.'"

Years later, Elder Brown was in line to be promoted to general. But even though he was fully qualified for the promotion, it was denied him because he was a Mormon. Continuing his story, Elder Brown remembered: "I got on the train and started back ... with a broken heart, with bitterness in my soul. ... When I got to my tent, ... I threw my cap on the cot. I clenched my fists, and I shook them at heaven.

I said, 'How could you do this to me, God? I have done everything I could to measure up. ... How could you do this to me?' And then I heard a voice. ... It was my own voice, and the voice said, 'I am the gardener here. I know what I want you to do.' The bitterness went out of my soul, and I fell on my knees by the cot to ask forgiveness for my ungratefulness. ...

And now, almost 50 years later, I look up to [God] and say, 'Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for cutting me down, for loving me enough to hurt me.'" All of us can meet God's high expectations, however great or small our capacity and talent may be. Let us pray for His love-inspired correction, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

After we watched the video the children were given their yearly challenge. we put the challenges on pieces of wood to keep with the currant bush story. The children were given trophies and awards to symbolize that if they try to do their best and meet the challenges that are ahead that they can be so much more than mediocre. They can be winners. We had our traditional spaghetti dinner and then everyone washed up extra well for bed. The children were so excited. especially Cooper. He had the hardest time settling into sleep with the anticipation for the 1st day of kinder. I had a hard time sleeping too. I was so incredibly worried about Britton starting middle school. Would he find his way? would kids be nice? would he eat lunch alone? would he be able to find his locker? will he be able to hear well enough? so many concerns rushed through my head. & I felt sad about my very last baby going to school for 7 hours. For 13 years I have had a baby home with me. I feel lost. I don't feel like I need to go and be a career woman now. I am excited to spend more time at the schools volunteering. I am excited to help more with ministering, but honestly just want to be back in the trenches of diapers and babies. I looked at pictures when they were all toddlers & babies and I was pregnant. I want those days back. Today (day 3 of school) was the first day I was home without Rod or the kids. It was strange and I worried much of the day, but I am trying to make a schedule and figure out if more school for me is in the future. Maybe. I don't know. I know I miss the 5 and I know Ill figure it out eventually. 



























No comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground